A Hosted PBX is a private branch exchange (PBX) delivered as a hosted service. It’s also known as a Virtual PBX and the advantages companies that use it experience are the elimination of installation, operation and maintenance costs of their VoIP PBX as their VoIP service provider hosts their PBX for them.
A Hosted PBX still allows companies to utilize and take complete advantage of their phone system’s feature set such as voicemail, faxing, automated greetings, conferences and so on.
There are three ways that a Hosted PBX works; either over the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) over the Internet (hosted IP PBX via Internet Telephony or Voice Over IP, VoIP) or with a combination of the two.
Key benefits of a Hosted PBX Solution
- Initial and Ongoing cost savings – there’s no need for a large investment before installing your phone system and also the maintenance cost of your phone system is much lower as you don’t need to hire someone inhouse to operate and maintain your PBX.
- Eliminate office boundaries – employees can work from anywhere with a virtual office phone system. Ideal for home-workers and salespeople who are constantly on the move.
- Boost of corporate image – by using a hosted phone system small businesses can still give the impression of being a large organization with a professional phone system.
- Scalability – with a virtual phone system businesses can add or remove lines and extensions as they grow
- Easy to use – since there’s no end-user management involved with a virtual PBX, it’s easier to use than a traditional phone system.